We need food to grow and be healthy. But if we are not careful with food, it can make us sick. Farmers work very hard to make sure the food they grow is safe for us to eat. Once it comes to your home, here is how you can keep it safe.
- Unpack groceries and put refrigerated or frozen foods away right away. Otherwise they can grow bacteria if left out at room temperature for too long.
- Wash all vegetables and fruits before eating them.
Always wash your hands with soap and water before and after helping prepare food.
- Do not put cooked foods on a plate that had raw meat or fish.
- The raw food could add bacteria to the cooked food.
- Always wash down countertops after cooking. Use hot, soapy water.
Activity: What Is Safe Where?
Look at these food items. Where is the safest place to store each one (cupboard, fridge, freezer)?