- Flat terrain where large machinery can operate.
- Produces crops like wheat, soybeans, sunflowers, sugarbeets, and potatoes.
- Fertile prairie soils.
- Rough terrain.
- Short frost-free season, lots of snow.
- Big producer of forests, but few field crops.
- Hilly with moisture.
- Big producer of hay, pasturelands, dairy cattle, and turkeys.
- Soils include rich, shallow, poorly drained, and sandy.
- Fertile soils with good moisture.
- Produces corn, soybeans, cattle, and hogs.
- More southern location (longer growing season).