Many Uses for Beef Cattle
Beef cattle may weigh around 1,100 pounds. From that, it will provide about 475 pounds of beef. But 99% of every beef animal is used. That means beef cattle also supply other products:
- Beef cattle produce steaks, roasts, and hamburgers for you to enjoy at home, at school, and at restaurants.
- Beef contains many important nutrients, including protein, zinc, niacin, vitamins B6 and B12, and iron.
- There are 29 cuts of beef that are lean, like tenderloin, strip steak, and 95% lean ground beef.
- Hides, hooves, and hair are used to make things like sports equipment, leather goods, and paint brushes. Footballs are often called "pigskins," but they are actually made from cow hide.
- Fats are used to make soap, shampoo, and cosmetics.
- The pancreas and liver are used to make medications for diseases such as anemia and hypoglycemia.